Walks Around the World to Vermejo!
The Landscape and Property
The ranch is over 550,00 acres of unspoiled terrain with beautiful grounds and a stunning natural landscape from lakes to plains to mountains. The vastness and scale of the property are hard to comprehend at first. When you first arrive, you drive 30+ minutes on the ranch’s property before you even reach the front gates. All of that land and more is full of rich history and wildlife. We were extremely impressed by Ted Turner Reserves and their conservation efforts with attention to the entire ecosystem. They are doing some very cool things! A stay at Vermejo helps fund these conservation programs and contributes to the feeling of a private “National Park.” Since the property is large and secluded, it does require some effort to get there. It’s a little over a 4-hour drive from the Denver or Albuquerque airport to the ranch. Or, arrange a charter flight into the Raton Municipal Airport located just off the ranch and the ranch staff will pick you up. Due to the travel logistics and the wide diversity of activities on the property, we would recommend at least a four-night stay to fully explore everything this place has to offer.
Refuel and relax with top-notch meals after a long day of activities or start the day off with a hearty breakfast in preparation for the day of exploring ahead. The chef excels at local cuisine and cooking game meats but also delicious fish and vegetarian options as well. Every bite we had was amazing; our favorites were the elk, antelope, and bison. They also had superb craft cocktails and mocktails. All with a stunning presentation. Gourmet dining in the wilderness!
There are quite a few different accommodation options on property that range from a romantic room to a full buyout for a family reunion. Turner House was recently renovated with traditional guest rooms and a contemporary feel. It offers connecting rooms, double queen rooms, and family suites. Casa Grande, the historic but renovated turn of the century homestead, transports you back in time with its grand hall and historic furnishings. There are also guest cottages perfect for families or groups of friends. Costilla Lodge, which is a secluded mountain lodge about 45 minutes from the Main Lodge, is great for groups that love fishing and direct access to the wilderness. All of the options are unique but quite comfortable. Ask us about which is the best fit for your trip!
Tips for Vermejo
- Take advantage of the activities! It was the highlight of our stay.
- The staff is there for YOU – they thrive on assisting guests of the ranch and sharing this special place!
- Make a plan on how to get to Vermejo. There is a private airport off the ranch where Vermejo will pick you up. But if you don’t fly directly there, plan on a 4+ hour road trip from one of the other airports in the area. We can help you find fun stops along the way, especially if you are traveling with your family.
- Bring shoes/boots that will keep your feet dry and don’t mind getting dirty! It is the Wild-Wild West…
- Pack layers! Even in the summer. The ranch sits at 7,500 ft of elevation and it’s mountainous. The weather changes quickly!
- No need to bring dress clothes! You may want a clean pair of boots and perhaps a shower before dinner (depending on the day’s activities) but no need to get dolled up.
If a Vermejo adventure intrigues you, reach out to Walk Around the World for more information.
We are here to help you create your perfect trip itinerary! Walks Around the World Clients receive the following complimentary Virtuoso amenities:
- Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
- Complimentary buffet breakfast daily (included in rates)
- $100 USD Resort/Hotel credit to be utilized during stay
- Castle Rock Sundowner: includes cocktails for up to 4 guests at Castle Rock viewpoint
- Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
An easily accessible destination with a variety of luxury properties to suit every traveler! With great flight connections from the States into the Cancun airport, Riviera Maya lies a short 30 to 45-minute drive but worlds away from your visions of Cancun. Here is a...
What did we learn from Virtuoso Travel Week this year? Virtuoso’s exclusive global travel community gathers annually to learn, network, and grow to create the best trips for all our clients. This year’s week-long conference was a hybrid event with attendees both...
Now more than ever is the time to have a professional on your side. In a crisis (whether a global pandemic, family emergency or cancelled flight), a travel advisor is there to advocate for you. Not only getting you rebooked and home safely but also navigate cancelling...